[thelist] Another what would you do???

CDitty mail at redhotsweeps.com
Wed Apr 18 09:27:21 CDT 2001

Hello all,

I have a new customer that contacted me for use of one of my games for his
site.  This person seems to be a really nice guy but I think he is  kinda
new to the net.  They are having an online lotto site created for them by
another company (http://games.email-lotto.com/).  This company is
recommending that he use http://www.spiritusa.net/ for his web hosting.

Normally, I wouldn't care since the game he is getting from me will stay on
my server.  However, he has told me that he has interest in several other
games from me in the future.  My games are written in php/mysql and
spiritusa doesn't seem to offer either of these.   Not to mention that I
know there are much better sites for hosting out there.  I have already
told my customer that my games won't work on this ISP if they don't have
PHP/mysql installed.

What would you do?  Would you recommend the customer to find a better
ISP?  Would you voice your concerns?  Or just let it go?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

<tip php/mysql backup script>
<?
# Variables
# User ID
$userid = "root";
# Password - If you need to use a password add -p${password} to
# $password="passwd";

# Connect to the database
$dblink = mysql_connect("localhost", "$userid");
$db_list = mysql_list_dbs($dblink);

# Location of Mysqldump
$mysqlbindump="/usr/bin/mysqldump -u" . $userid;

# Location of Mysql Database backup directory
$dbbackupdir="/home/httpd/html/mysql_backups";

# Location of tar
$tar="/bin/tar";

# Location of gzip
$gzip="/usr/bin/gzip";

$curr_time = date("mdY");

# Let the fun begin
while ($row = mysql_fetch_object($db_list)) {
    $dbList = $row->Database;
    exec("$mysqlbindump --opt $dbList >
$dbbackupdir/$curr_time.$dbList.backup");
    exec("$tar -cf $dbbackupdir/$curr_time.$dbList.tar
$dbbackupdir/$curr_time.$dbList.backup");
    exec("$gzip $dbbackupdir/$curr_time.$dbList.tar");
    exec("rm $dbbackupdir/$curr_time.$dbList.backup");
}
?>
</tip>