[thelist] Making sound file from CD

Karin Ransdell kransdell at squishedmosquito.com
Wed Apr 18 13:02:38 CDT 2001

in a

good grief charlie brown...
Has your client never heard of copyright? ;)
Unless she owns the rights, plans to claim fair use (more and more difficult
these days), or to remain within the narrow confines of "parody", she'd
better do some research and decide if the benefit is worth the potential
cost.

http://www.ivanhoffman.com/music.html is a pretty good article, plus there
are lots more regarding copyright, intellectual property, etc.

http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/ghosh-2000-06-p1.html talks about "fair
use".

And if
http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/2001/samuels-2001-04-p3.html
Why Can't I Make Copies From Copies of My CDs?

doesn't help any, there are plenty more articles about music and copyright
here.

I built a site for a professional musician once and despite the fact that he
OWNED the copyright to his music as part of his record contract, we had all
sorts of considerations with his record label.

My famous last words?  "never again...."

/k