[thelist] Dreamweaver or NetObjects

Saidi; Marwan msaidi at ced-concord.com
Wed Apr 18 16:41:08 CDT 2001

Norman sat down, thought things over, and said....

~~~~~~~~~~
At the risk of starting a "religious war", I am wondering whether I should
upgrade my NetObjects Fusion 5.0 to Fusion MX.  Though I mostly handcode
using
HomeSite, I have used the WYSIWYG tool a few times (with limited success -
could just be the learning curve, but generated code seemed awful!).
Perhaps a switch to DW is in order or should I just sit tight while
Macromedia/Allaire is sorted out?  Anyone know of any comparisons that have
been made?  Any advice welcome.
~~~~~~~~~~

<disclaimer>
I really feel that you should use the tools that _you_ feel good using. Just
because most everyone hates FrontPage, if you are comfortable with it, use
it. (ok, no one should REALLY use FP). Seriously, it is up to you.
</disclaimer>

Having said that, I used Fusion 4.0 and 5.0 before I got DreamWeaver 3. For
me, it was a world of difference. Fusion has its strengths, and it is
particularly suited for churning out sites quickly. However, it is not
NEARLY as flexible as DW, and it does some very strange things to code. I
also particularly despise the naming conventions that it uses for
auto-generated images such as banners and navigation buttons. Additionally,
if I remember correctly, a lot of the code that it generates automatically
is considered "off-limits", and can't be changed within the program. If you
do change it, Fusion changes it back to the way it likes it. I could be
wrong here, been a while since I used it.

I currently use Cold Fusion Studio and Homesite almost exclusively, as I
like the way that _I_ code! We have considered UltraDev, but I think that we
will wait and see what shakes out of the merger before we commit to that. I
currently use DW for quick layouts and for its site management features.

HTH
Marwan Saidi
Webmaster
CED - Concord IS