[thelist] Please tell me why I hate Flash

Adam Loper adam at snarlingbadger.com
Wed Apr 18 16:43:40 CDT 2001

Hi all, this is my first post here.

I'm the web guy for a small advertising agency in Oshkosh, WI. My boss
called me in to his office to show me yet another fancy Flash web site. I've
told him time and again that I don't like Flash, it's slow for modem users,
it doesn't place well in search engines...yada yada yada. He keeps showing
me more and more, and now he's talking about trying to find a Flash seminar
/ program that I could go to learn it and spread its evil.

I'm teaching myself ColdFusion...all things considered, I'd rather go to a
ColdFusion school, or maybe the Thunder Lizard Dreamweaver Conference in
California this fall. Are there resources on the web that I can site when
explaining to him why Flash is bad? Is Flash actually bad? I know that 9
times out of 10, I can't stand it. I also know that I've never seen a good
B2B site using it (that's the majority of our business). Am I just a
fuddy-duddy? Personally, I'd rather have useful, dynamic content I can use
instead of a rotating cube and a cheezy techno loop.

Any help / advice / URLs will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam Loper