[thelist] Please tell me why I hate Flash

Ryan Finley RyanF at SonicFoundry.com
Wed Apr 18 16:50:56 CDT 2001

<<
I'm the web guy for a small advertising agency in Oshkosh, WI. My boss
called me in to his office to show me yet another fancy Flash web site. I've
told him time and again that I don't like Flash, it's slow for modem users,
it doesn't place well in search engines...yada yada yada. He keeps showing
me more and more, and now he's talking about trying to find a Flash seminar
/ program that I could go to learn it and spread its evil.

Personally, I think that Flash is useful for conveying information outside
of the main context of a website.

As an example, I will be using flash for a number of tours and tutorials on
my website.  It is great for a simple "sit-back and let me show you" kind of
approach.

But website intros and interstitials using Flash are pure evil.  Well, maybe
not EVIL...but very annoying nonetheless!

And don't forget about those viral Flash games that make their way around
the net...They can be very useful for driving traffic to your site.

	Ryan Finley
	President - SurveyMonkey.com (http://www.surveymonkey.com)