[thelist] Please tell me why I hate Flash

Cory Preus cory_preus at cnt.com
Wed Apr 18 17:02:01 CDT 2001

> Personally, I think that Flash is useful for conveying information outside
> of the main context of a website.

Bingo!

It is of my opinion that Flash be used for pieces of a site (i.e. a
presentation, animation, etc). It should not by any means be used to
*create* a site.

Flash sites as a whole affect a great deal of things in the usability and
functional worlds much more difficult (screen readers, search engines).

I can see your boss wanting a site in Flash, then expecting it to be one of
the top listings on a search engine...kinda hard to index vectors.

On the other hand, there is a very good article on evolt right now
addressing the issue of Flash and usability.
http://www.evolt.org/article/Developing_User_Friendly_Flash_Content/4090/960
1/index.html

Read both Dack and the evolt article. Read both points of view and see if
you agree.