[thelist] Last modified date

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 19 04:34:04 CDT 2001

>Both scripts, rather than showing the last modified date of the file, are
>showing the current date!!!

In Explorer, I suppose. That usually means that the server doesn't send a
last modified date to the browser. Explorer shows the current date, while
Netscape shows 1-1-1970.

>Where this is happening is on SSI pages which have the suffix .shtml
>On the first page to the site, which is a standard index.htm file, the date
>shows the correct modified date

O, that's strange. Use  http://www.delorie.com/web/headers.html to see if
your server sends lastModified. If it does (also on the .shtml pages)
something strange is going on.

Maybe it's indeed that the server says the file is modified today because of
the SSI, but that wouldn't be standard behaviour, I guess.

See also http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?lastmod.html for things
that can go wrong with lastModified.

ppk