[thelist] Flotsam and thensome

Ron_Senykoff at BEAEROSPACE.COM Ron_Senykoff at BEAEROSPACE.COM
Thu Apr 19 10:15:31 CDT 2001

To establish a native connection to DB2 you need to first download DB2 Connect
(can find it on IBM's site).  This has a client configuration manager where you
establish connections to databases on the network.  It is pretty straightforward
so long as the legacy system operator knows their system ;)  Once these
connections are established you can then use PHP, JSP, ASP, etc. from my
understanding.  If I'm wrong, somebody tell me.  If I'm right, can somebody
please elaborate because I've only had a brief chance to look into this but will
need to do some of this type of work shortly (connect to DB2/400) and use JSP's.
TIA
-Ron S.

Sean Preston <razorwise at yahoo.com> on 04/19/2001 10:15:53 AM

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org

To:   thelist at lists.evolt.org
cc:    (bcc: Ron Senykoff/BEA)

Subject:  [thelist] Flotsam and thensome

Hello All,

First, a general comment.  I'm pleased to have discovered this group earlier in
the week and find
the user base both insightful AND affable, a rare combination to anyone that's
been on the net for
a long time. So, I'll throw in my tip of the day, before I try to borrow your
collective insight
*s*.

When designing sites, ultimately bandwidth and navigability are paramount.
Hence, Useit.com,
mentioned in a prior post, is an excellent resource, as is Phillip and Alex's
Guide to Web
Publishing (http://www.arsdigita.com/books/panda/).  The later, a book by
Phillip Greenspun, is
entirely online and worth the read, by both professional developers and those
newer to the
industry.

Now speaking to my problem, I'm attempting to interface a legacy mainframe
system (IBM CICS) and
am attempting to find a middleware solution to accomplish this.  It's for an
intranet system and
the users are used to greenscreen response times (i.e. subsecond), hence I've
gotta have speed.
On the front end, I've designed the navigability for speed, but upon testing
several middleware
products (i.e. WebSphere *cringe*, ScreenSufer *wince*, and Crossplex *pretty
good, but extremely
expensive*) I can't find the right one.  I've been continuing my research into
PHP as I hear you
can link it straight to DB2, but I'm wondering what kind of response time I'll
have.  Has anyone
done any work like that?

Thanks in advance for any/all responses.

Most Sincerely,

Sean

*we are a product of our acronyms (i.e. html, js, xml, xhtml, cya, etc...)*