[thelist] Please tell me why I hate Flash

Erik gozz at gozz.com
Thu Apr 19 14:30:48 CDT 2001

I'm with you, bud. I encourage you to not worry anymore about why you
hate Flash ... just give your boss an ultimatum: "Never mention Flash
again or I quit."

Flash bashing arises from ignorance and prejudice ... to draw an
analogy, not all Arabs carry suitcase bombs onto airplanes, and this
is why it's inappropriate to raise a stink because someone with a
beard and turban boards your flight.

RE: Jakob Neilson article: based on that reasoning, automobiles
should be outlawed because they can kill people. Additionally, he's
factually wrong about many of his points. And clearly prejudiced as
evidenced by this gem: "If Flash was cheap to produce and if all
content creators could make a Flash object as easily as they write a
standard Web page, then perhaps many of these problems would be
alleviated." In other words: "I tried to make a Flash movie myself
one time, and I just couldn't figure it out." Hilarious.

The only point he says that rings slightly true is that the Back
button and Find in Page don't work for navigating within a Flash
movie, but saying this is a problem intrinsic to Flash is the exact
same thing as claiming that select boxes are intrinsically bad
because they prevent the visitor from navigating throughout them
using the back button.

Here are two 100% Flash sites that are pretty darn good:

http://www.turbonium.com/
http://www.viaduct.co.uk/

This guy's stuff is mind-blowing if you already know Flash, not sure
if it would be overly interesting otherwise: http://www.natzke.com/

--
- Erik Mattheis

http://gozz.com/