[thelist] Floating DIV issues.

Mark Cheng mark.cheng at ranger.com.au
Fri Apr 20 00:17:38 CDT 2001

You got me intrigued.  Try this - it works ok ie55 and ns6 but you'll need
the box model hack if you want it perfect in both:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<head>
    <title></title>

	.masthead {
	 position:absolute;
	 top:0%;
	 left:0%;
		width:100%;
		height:18%;
		background-color:#fff;
		color:#000000;
		overflow:visible;
			}

	.leftContent {
		position: absolute;
		left:0%;
		top:18%;
		width:70%;
		background-color:#ffffff;
		color:#000000;

		}

	.leftContent p {
		background-color: transparent;
		color: #333333;
		line-height:130%;
		padding-left:75px;
		padding-right:5px;
		text-align:justify;
		max-width: 700px;

	}

	.rightContent {
		position: absolute;
		top: 18%;
		left: 70%;
		height: 100%;
		overflow: visible;
		background-color:#eeeeee;
		color:#000000;
		padding:5px;

		}

	body {
		background-color:#eee;
		}
	<!-- Date:		 Thursday April 19 2001 -->
</head>

<h4>Works, except NS6</h4>
<hr />
<!--<div class="contentArea">-->
<!--
    // Interesting but ultimately extraneous content -->

// Page content -->
extentions enterprise wide. Respective divisions historically insignificant,
upscale trendlines in a management inventory analysis survivabilty format.
rivaling central process management.
hallmarks of unprecedented opportunity.</q>

technology, presentation action items and life cycle replication.
staffing components, integration of technical accessibility, resulting in
bottom line pluralisms, benefit-wise. Incidental re-sizing staff
requirements through attrition can be accelerated by paridigm shifts and
focusing on core suitability and cross-training.
due to knowlege paucity, necessitating workflow education and orientation.
Media sourcing as an acquistion strategy is counterproductive in a internet
environment i n virtual component methodology. Imaging through ideals rather
than real world branding, is a perilous undertaking with negative results.
Branding strategies generating motion as activity without reproducible
results is a ultimately futile effort if left in place.
<hr /></div>

expand
to contain the floating div. In order to fix this, I added a DIV with
clear:both;  inside
the contentArea DIV. Since the contentArea DIV is now forced to expand to
contain
this empty DIV, we have what we want.</p></div>