[thelist] Apache burns memory up !

Eric Cestari eric at ohmforce.com
Fri Apr 20 11:01:52 CDT 2001

Thanks Daniel !

It is a Pentium III w/256 Mb of ram.
Traffic is not very big, we had 700 visits yesterday, and it was an all time
record :)
but usually we get 200 visits a day.
The install is the standard 1.3.9  RH rpm for Apache, I think it's DSO all
the way.
PHP is 4.0.4pl1 with a whole bunch of modules (imap, gd, Postgres, ... )
I have persistent connections between PHP and Postgres (7.0.3), and that did
cause problems (corrected now).

excerpt from httpd.conf :
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MinSpareServers 20
MaxSpareServers 30
StartServers 25
MaxClients 60
MaxRequestsPerChild 100

Those figures are  not adequate for 20Mb processes on a 256 Mb RAM server, I
guess :)

Cheers,
    Eric