[thelist] Missouri River Regional Library

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Fri Apr 20 12:34:37 CDT 2001

On 20 Apr 2001, at 9:34, Robin Hastings posted a message which said:

> I'm biting the bullet and presenting our new site for critiques! At the
> library I work for, I have teamed up with a graphic designer (print mostly)
> to completely redesign our web site. The target launch date is Monday -
> AGGGH!!  The old site is 3 years old (it predates me!) and is horrible, so
> anything will be an improvement, but I'd still like to get opinions about
> how this new site looks, navigates, functions and works in various browsers.
> Our target audience probably uses from 56K modems to cable modems (very
> popular in this area) and has reasonably recent computers. We've tried to
> design for 800 x 600 and up, with at least a nod to web-safe colors. Any
> comments you can make would be greatly appreciated. I've tested in IE 5.5
> and Netscape 6.0 (PC), and the graphic designer has tested on her Mac (no
> idea what browser she uses!). I'd love to hear how this site looks in the
> 4.0 browsers! Thanks for everything in advance!!

> http://207.160.148.219/  (Missouri River Regional Library)

First off, congrats. This is one of the few library sites I've ever seen
that does not require telnet. The folks with WebTV and other web
appliances will thank you.

Got a couple of questions, though.  Why are you automatically
sending users to a different page after ten minutes?  That strikes
me as incredibly rude.

Second, why are you using a *button* for the help window? It
doesn't seem to go well with the page design....

deke