[thelist] Please tell me why I hate Flash - longish

Kristina Floyd kristina at kfx-design.co.uk
Fri Apr 20 13:48:17 CDT 2001

Alastair,

Thank you for your comments  ;o)

AM> 1) make the little green dots a bit bigger, OR set the initial zoom of the
AM> map greater.  It's a little difficult to see them and I did spend a bit of
AM> time wondering what else I could click on.

I think you may have clicked on the camping and caravanning option,
which has very few advertisers on it.  We had so many advertisers in
the serviced and self-catering, which of course made the data content
huge!  So we decided to split the map into 3 sections, one for
serviced, one for self catering and one for camping & caravanning.  If
you click on either of the other two options you will see they both
look like they have the measles!!  ;o)  & re; making the dots bigger,
I had to keep them small because of the problems that arose when there
is a cluster of dots.

AM> 2) the popup with the information is good, but make it stay up if I move my
AM> mouse off the green dot (put an onmouseover command onto the popup itself)

One of the things that are on the list for the next 'creation' of the
map is a small bit of text that says 'click here' we want to encourage
the advertisers to have their own website and use the ETA one as a
means to find them.  iucwim!!  So you click on the dot and you go
directly to their website.

AM> 3)maybe consider a click and drag map??  sorta wanted to do that rather than
AM> the little buttons.

good idea, makes more sense than the zoom & pan buttons, i will keep
it in mind for the next 'creation'

AM> 4)preloader.  the load time isn't too bad, but I'd rather have a bar that
AM> showed me progress of the entire movie, the user has no indication just how
AM> long the 'loading images, loading data' it going to go on.

if you click on Lorna Doone on the left hand side on one of the
stones, you will see a newer version of 'How' the map should be done,
and when there is budget that is how the other maps will be done.  So
in effect the map loading is the preloader.

AM> Other than that I agree with you, it is a fairly good use of flash and is
AM> far better than yet another intro in anyone's book :]  I'm working on a
AM> interactive timeline for a client at the moment, and flash is ideal for this
AM> type of work, as long as you provide an alternative source of the data there
AM> no reason not to consider it.

Thank you  ;o)

bfn
Kristina