[thelist] OT: How do you handle thelist?

H. G. Quinn hgquinn at attglobal.net
Sat Apr 21 19:38:44 CDT 2001

I have periods where I check every message, and periods were I read nothing, but I always
want to be able to go back if I read a current post to an old thread that I missed out
on.  I filter everything into an evolt folder, then 2 or 3 times a month, I create
subfolders: evolt 2001 04 1, evolt 2001 04 2, etc., and break out the posts into the
subfolders, by date.  Even though I follow evolt by thread, and the monthly subdivisions
break threads, I like the date-grouped subfolders, because they let me grasp the
continuity of what people were talking about at any particular time.  When if I have a
slow day and feel like reading evolt posts offline for 4 hours, they're right there.  My
personal rule is never to let a folder or subfolder go over 1000 messages, as once in a
while e-mail db index pointers get messed up over that limit.  I keep my subfolders
collapsed under their parent folder, so they're out of the way, but never lost.

--
Cheers,

Heather Quinn
info at windyhilldesign.com