[thelist] www.dirtcheapdots.com

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Sun Apr 22 06:06:22 CDT 2001

On 22 Apr 2001, at 0:19, Mutes posted a message which said:

> Recently I found a host: http://tacidblue.com
> I'm thinking of signing up for their services... but I don't know if theyre
> reliable or not? Seems like they've been having trouble with their servers
> lately, but its up now, and still its only $15/year.....
> I dunno... can I have some advice please?

How much labor goes into a website?  I figure
a good web page represents about $200. And
they don't last forever. After two years, they are
pretty outdated and stale.

That means a 30-page website depreciates at
the rate of $8.12 a day, whether anyone looks
at it or not.

Fast reliable hosting is going to cost you less
than $1 a day, and you get every little bit of
traffic you work for.

If someone is slow enough that they cost you
20% in traffic, you cannot afford them even if
they are free!

The site tacidblue.com is running Apache/1.3.14
Ben-SSL/1.41 (Unix) mod_throttle/2.11 mod_perl/1.24_01
PHP/4.0.3pl1 FrontPage/4.0.4.3 rus/PL30.0 on Linux.

Mod_throttle.  Think about that one a while.
http://www.snert.com/Software/Throttle/index.shtml

deke