[thelist] Please tell me why I hate Flash

kransdell at squishedmosquito.com kransdell at squishedmosquito.com
Sun Apr 22 12:04:35 CDT 2001

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:23:00 -0500
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] Please tell me why I hate Flash

><!--tip-->
>Don't criticize things you don't know about.

When speaking from the user's point of view, we are all qualified, not just about Flash. So.... speaking as a user... I detest 99% of sites that use Flash.  But that's because of the way I use the net, I suppose.  Quick in, quick out, get the info and be gone.  Too much of it is gratuitous.  A screen full of dancing words that say "we're the best.. <insert buzzwords here> click to continue" argh...

When used correctly, however, it allows you to get across a message unlike any other medium.  Tutorials, demos, presentations, but even then, I like them to get to the point.  It definitely has its place, but that place should be governed by the audience, just like *any* web application.

Ironically, however, because there are clients out there that just insist upon their dancing words, we're considering a 'dancing demo' of our own to appease them.  Right alongside it, however, comes the little lecture about considering your audience ;)

Thanks for the microphone,

Karin