[thelist] Please tell me why I hate Flash

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Mon Apr 23 02:37:52 CDT 2001

I guess it comes from being the middle brother for 40 years, but aren't some
of us being a bit bombastic when there are two different arguments going on
here? Flash is generally not my choice for information architecture,
navigation, or other jakobian issues. That doesn't mean that is has no place
on the web.

How many of you really remember the superbowl? Not me, and I'm pretty sure I
was conscious thru most of it. But I sure remember some of those
commercials. They're generally not long on information, but they get your
attention and make you remember them.

Why do you think they called it 'Flash'? The web isn't just about
information, it's more and more about marketing. Marketing, since day one,
has attempted to provide more entertainment than information. Flash will
continue to be used (often poorly) to 'entertain' folks into buying. If you
can't/don't/won't download the latest version, there's a good chance you're
not their target market, which means that, frankly, scallop, they don't give
a clam about you.

I HATE commercials as a general rule. I usually dislike sites that depend on
Flash. My automatic response to both is to move on to something else. That
doesn't make either commercials or Flash inherently evil (or inherently
good, if you're mad at me.) It's subjective, like nearly everything else.
Unless, of course, you need information from that Flash-filled site; but
then, there's still little value in railing against Flash. YOU came to THEM,
remember? If it's their info they can serve it any way they like. And if
their method of delivery is unpalatable to you, move on.

joel at spinhead.com