[thelist] Script Compatability

Daniel S. O'Shea doshea at surfree.com
Mon Apr 23 10:14:11 CDT 2001

At 9:28 AM -0400 23/4/01, Daniel S. O'Shea wrote:
>>Question on using certain Script Languages- I had used quite a bit of
>>JavaScript in the past but have learned that the new 'user' computers such
>>as i-opener and web tv (Microsoft and a few others put there small units
out
>>but I don't know much about them.) do not support the language.
>>So I've resorted to keeping my site within the ASP environment.

>Sun's HotJava browser, used in some consumer devices such as the Alcatel
>WebTouch don't do JavaScript either I think  we'll get more and more of
this
>as smaller devices grow HTML/XHTML renderers, but don't have room for the
bells
>and whistles. 640x480 resolution will come back the same way;

>I use JavaScript, but make sure that there's a fallback behaviour for
>non-javascript browsers. There's nothing wrong with using JavaScript for
>a purely cosmetic rollover - non-javascript browsers just won't display the
>rollover; the link will still work if you code it right.

>Use Javascript for a popup menu on rollover - but make the popup trigger
also
>be a standard linked image; if you click it, it takes you to a page with
the same
>function as the popup menu. Then everybody wins.

Yes, I've done all of this. But the real problem then becomes 'time'. I
didn't really want to create two types of site contents, one in JS and one
in standard .asp or .html. For sites that have 50-100-300 or more pages, it
can be quite a chore to update two content files. I use an include file for
my contents page in asp. But actually, now you've given me a great idea. If
I create a .js file, I wouldn't doubt if ASP can strip out the JS code and
create it's own include file. Hmmm...something now to dwell on...

>Other examples of non-destructive JavaScript
>abound, I'm sure. Anyone? Bueller?

>Regards,

>V.

Dan O.