[thelist] using SSI within a .cgi page

Marty Landman marty at face2interface.com
Tue Apr 24 14:47:04 CDT 2001

At Tuesday 4/24/01 03:27 PM, David Prowak wrote:

>I want to add some SSIs to a page that currently
>a Perl CGI, using the .cgi extension.
>
>For SSI to be parsed correctly, I've read that I have
>to use a .shtml extension.  How can I do this when the
>CGI script I'm using requires a .cgi extention?

David,

Either I'm misunderstanding you or you're missing the point of using server
side includes.

You can't do what you're asking about. If you'd like to have your CGI
benefit from some common code, you can put that common code into other
files and then use the Perl 'require' function. Or learn about object
oriented programming and use a package instead. The first is easier to
start learning OOP and I recommend it for starters.

I'm assuming that your Perl program is printing out a webpage as its
result. SSI is used to embed one or more instances of static data on the
server or server program generated output within a static page.

Marty

Face 2 Interface Web Solutions
Content Management Made SIMPL(tm)
http://face2interface.com/Home/SIMPL.shtml