[thelist] Font Sizes: Online Picture Examples of Points, Pixels, Picas.. ?

Freda Lockert fredalockert at clara.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 18:45:15 CDT 2001

There are some comparisons here of 12 point fonts on Win and Mac platforms:

http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/manual/pages/font_face.html

Picas are a measure of length (line lengths, indents, stuff like
that, not type size, 6 picas=1"). Font foundries display their faces
as images in sizes large enough to show the differences in the
details that a typographer (like me!) wants to see, not in a variety
of sizes.

Tip: If creating text in Photoshop or ImageReady, turn off fractional
widths for all text below about 24px; trying to squeeze curved type
into square pixels=fuzzy images.

Nice to have your graphic designer working with you instead of
presenting you with a fait accompli - "hey! code that!"

Cheers.
Freda