[thelist] Managing Fonts

Freda Lockert fredalockert at clara.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 19:58:10 CDT 2001

Hi Gina

For an application to 'see' a font it has to be installed before the
application is loaded. In Windows you open the fonts folder (access
through the control panel? My Windoze days are behind me <g>) and
choose 'install font' from the menu, you don't open the font file
itself. Someone will let me know if I'm wrong!

A font manager like Adobe Type Manager DeLuxe or the Extensis
equivalent (I've forgotten its name) are useful. They let you choose
what fonts you have activated (available) all the time; then you
activate any other font when you need it. With ATM you can also
exclude certain applications from ATM's control if you get conflicts
and problems with application crashes. It reduces the load on your PC
and IMHO is worth the investment.

Cheers.
Freda