[thelist] Font Sizes: Online Picture Examples of Points, Pixels, Picas.. ?

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser at skdesigns.com
Tue Apr 24 20:09:16 CDT 2001

Charles,

Hmmm....  have you checked at some typography-oriented sites, especially
tutorials on typography?

Here are a couple of possibilities that may have what you're asking:

Xerox Font Tutorial (This one has graphic image displays describing pica,
point, pixel, and all kinds of typography terms, too, and shows differences
between pica, point, etc.)
http://www.font.net/fonttut.htm

In terms of cross-browser, cross-platform font issues, there's potentially
huge variances. I've done a lot of research on this and posted a bunch of
annotated resources at WebsiteTips.com:

Cross-Browser, Cross-Platform Font Issues
http://www.websitetips.com/design/index.html#fonts

You'll find a bunch of sites that have screen shots from various platforms
and browsers of the same font, listings of what fonts come with which
platforms and programs, and also workarounds and ways of dealing with all this.

Hope those help and that I didn't misunderstand what you're asking!

Warmly,
Shirley
--
Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.