[thelist] Usability/Esthetics: Drop Downs vs. Check Boxes

Tamara Abbey tamara at abbeyink.com
Tue Apr 24 21:08:36 CDT 2001

At 06:44 PM 4/24/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>We're working with a client that will have a *global* presence. They want a country list available to users on a page but want to use check boxes for damn near each and every %$&* country in the world (up to 95 and counting). Said client doesn't like drop down lists. We've used the usual arguments and keep coming back to "clutter" , etc (politely of course). Can I ask the experts from evolt to provide some quotes/comments that will help us change their minds? Or even, change our mind if necessary? We be open!

My Eudora just went kerplooey on me and I had to go back and reinstall, right down to the frigging registration.

They have a drop down box alright -- guess what? I've just moved to Bangladesh.

I hate drop downs, I really do. I really live in the state of Illinois, USA and drop downs /always/ default to Iowa (IA is the postal code while Illinois is IL). I know it's a PIA to code them in, but it's a major user pain to poke through a scrolling drop-down menu.

Ideally, I really, really like those maps where you click your region, get a regional map, click again -- ahh so easy! Course, I can't code one of those (or, at least I haven't tried), but those are really nice.

So since you just happened to ask on my first mail check after trying to straighten this thing out -- well you're getting a small piece of my mind tonight -- I'm saving the rest for that *wonderful* tech support department (yeah, that's what /they/ call it).