[thelist] php downloading question

Ray Hill lists at prydain.com
Thu Apr 26 12:30:51 CDT 2001

> The server is Novell, and I couldn't find any information
> on the php site or the Novell site about whether they work
> together or not.

As far as I know, PHP only works on Windows and Linux servers.
I've never heard of it being used on a Novell server before.
So if your project requires PHP, you may have to move it to
a different server (Linux being the faster and more stable
of the two, since PHP is designed on that platform, and has
to be re-engineered to run on Windows).

> I am apparently going to have to give this guy pretty
> detailed instructions if it is usable, but I don't know
> how to do these things.  Any advice?

Well, if you do end up getting a Windows or Linux server to
run it on, then you can send your IT guy to NuSphere.com and
all will be well.  They've got a great little product that's
basically just an installation wizard, that steps you through
a few simple questions and then does all the back-end
installation for you.

The great thing about it is that it not only installs PHP,
but the Apache web server, MySQL database (with the phpMyAdmin
GUI client, as well), and even Perl.  After downloading the
software form their site, it takes about ten minutes to get
the whole thing up and running.  Simplicity at it's finest!

He might be reluctant to use NuSphere at first, because the
versions they highlight on the front page are $70 and $300.
But the downloadable version is free (gotta love the GPL).
The pricier versions are primarily for a pretty CD,
documentation, and tech support.

And yes, they have versions of this for both Windows and
Linux.  So even if it takes a while for the server issue to
be figured out, you could get PHP/MySQL running on your own
desktop in about the time it would take to walk down to the
corner store for a cup of coffee.

http://www.nusphere.com/cgi-bin/nsp.cgi/custsrvc/utils/download.htm?psn=

--ray