[thelist] Font Sizes: Online Picture Examples of Points, Pixels, Picas.. ?

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Thu Apr 26 14:22:17 CDT 2001

On 25 Apr 2001, at 7:59, Joel D Canfield posted a message which said:

> hey deke, i've been looking for historical/etymological (?) info on fonts
> off-and-on for quite a while. where'd you come up with all this detail? i'd
> love to get my hands on a good thick book of the entire history of
> everything known about typefaces.

Boy, I'd like to know where I came up with all of it, too. I got into
the newspaper business back when Monotypes and Ludlows were
starting to be replaced by CompuGraphics, so I've read a ton of
books that no longer are in print and are no longer in libraries. If
you know what to google for, a lot of this information is available
on the web, but it's tricky knowing what to google for.

If you are studying and you happen to run across the keyboard
layout for linotypes, please let me know where it is. There were
fifteen keys across, six rows deep. and the only columns I know
for sure are 1, 2, 11, and 12: etaoin shrdlu ETAOIN SHRDLU

deke