[thelist] Windows '98 Instability

Peter Kaulback pkaulbak at idirect.ca
Mon Apr 30 17:24:05 CDT 2001

In the wee hour of 04:38 PM 4/30/01 -0500, sales at iibiz.com bequeathed such
tales as these:
>I know all you experts will have input on this one!
>
>My Windows '98 machine, about 1 1/2 years old, is becoming more and more
>unstable.
>
>Even though it's a plenty powerful machine, lately I end up re-booting 2-3
>times a day because the system resources run so low it can't function.
>
>I know I read an article explaining this and what you can do, short of
upgrading, to help alleviate the problems, a while back - but of course
>can't find anything on it now!
>
>Any one have any links they can share regarding this issue?
>
>Sandy

Have you been installing/uninstalling a lot of other software?  Do you run
regular defrag/scandisk sessions?  Check out "Easy Cleaner" from
http://www.saunalahti.fi/tonihele/ and use it to trim your registry of old
garbage that builds up there.  How many app's do you have running in the
background?  If you need to find these out then check out Igor M Arsenin's
site http://www.iarsn.com/ for his TaskInfo 2000 application which is a
combination of Task manager and System Information Utility.  HTH
Peter Kaulback

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

Thomas Edison (1847-1931)