[thelist] Acrobat Web capture

Peter Kaulback pkaulbak at idirect.ca
Tue May 1 21:40:08 CDT 2001

In the wee hour of 09:57 PM 5/1/01 -0400, aardvark bequeathed such tales as
these:
> > From: Peter Kaulback <pkaulbak at idirect.ca>
> >
> > I was assisting a friend with a client, and upon completion of the
> > site the client decided to drop my friend and his work.  But they then
> > used Acrobat's web capture and took the entire site from his test
>
>wait, they didn't spider the site to get the HTML and images, they
>did an Acrobat capture?  are you sure they didn't also spider it as
>well?  what did they approach you to do?

No spidering, just the straight PDF.  They had it on their laptop (they
don't have any desktops), and they asked me to copy it to my desktop, which
I think I mostly did.  They approached me with the idea that this was the
mockup from which to build from, I informed them after I had copied it that
the work looked like that of another designer and they quietly dropped the
matter.  I thought they had archived the whole thing.

> > server.  I know they did this because they approached me with his work
> > in PDF format.  I declined, but I'm curious none the less how other's
>
>erm, i would have called my friend and told him what happened...
>and passed over the PDF as well.... that's not good that they had
>him do the work, dumped him, and are farming it out elsewhere
>(assuming he didn't screw up)... regardless of the answer to your
>question, it sounds like the client stole, and you should follow up
>on that... who knows who else they'll try to screw, and you could
>have stepped in...

My friend has the PDF copy and the test server is closed down
presently.  And he did get his 75% payment plus they signed the copyright
to him in lieu of maintenance.

> > deal with the Acrobat Web Capture utility.  Also is there any way to
> > prevent the program from capturing your work? Peter Kaulback
>
>sure, but not definitively... serve up p0rn to any browser with a user
>agent similar to "Mozilla/3.0 (compatible; WebCapture 1.0;
>Windows)"...
>
>otherwise, no, it's really just a web browser, so unless you parse
>the UA, you're stuck... and keep in mind, it's probably easier to
>use a spidering utility to just get the real meat of the site, not just
>the Acrobat version (with all its rendering quirks)...

Does Acrobat translate ASP, PHP, or CFML?

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

Thomas Edison (1847-1931)