[thelist] Basic Traffic tracking question

sales at iibiz.com sales at iibiz.com
Wed May 2 12:45:10 CDT 2001

> BTW, the lookup on the IP address you gave returned this:
> Official name: 1Cust166.tnt76.chi5.da.uu.net
> Addresses: 63.38.132.166
> Registrant:
> UUNET Technologies, Inc. (UU-DOM)
>    3060 Williams Drive Ste 601
>    Fairfax, VA 22031
>    USA

Thank you for the example Seth.  Much to John's dismay, all I was trying to
convey to Janet is that there in NO way to know a persons name, email, or
city or anything else useful in that way to a marketing department from most
IP addresses, and explain it in laymen's terms.

The example you looked up was mine - connecting thru from Chicago on a
"local" ISP.  I don't think any one wants to target me with sales fliers
covering Virginia!

So if that's  truly "utterly misleading advice" on my part - I truly
apologize.

Sandy