[thelist] Charity and taxes was: Re: list confrontations, was: [thelist] Org Chart?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 22:58:32 CDT 2001

> From: matthew garrett <matthew.garrett at snet.net>
>
> I asked my accountant a month ago (for obvious reasons). He advised me
> that only the *expenses* incurred in the production of donated
> services are tax deductable. There appears to be no gain since those
> expenses are tax deductable anyway (because they are business
> expenses). He says that you can't/shouldn't do the "i would have
> charged a 'real' client $10,000, so i'll deduct that $10,000 as a
> contribution instead."

did you bill the client?  and then write it off?  i donated about $10k
worth of work to a local NFP, and i was able to declare it... the
accountant approved it... the NFP even sent a letter assuring us it
was all tax deductible...

of course, now i think i should verify that...

> If he's wrong, I need a new accountant...

or maybe he just missed it?