[thelist] Org Chart?

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu May 3 01:11:32 CDT 2001

Deke said (regarding using shareware in general):
>Donating your *own* services to a non-profit organizations is admirable.
>Stealing shareware on their behalf is not.

Perhaps someone could clarify some US law for me.

Where I come from (sure, New Zealand is way out in the sticks, and we
sleep with sheep to keep warm, but still) theft is unlawfully taking
something that belongs to someone else (an individual or
organization). I know the United States is a weird and wonderful
place (well <cough/>), but since when did abiding by the shareware /
trial license for a software package constitute theft?

When I was a grad student BBEdit Lite was a life saver -- it sure bet
the hell out of simpletext -- nowadays the full version of BBEdit is
a steal (sorry) at the price. But, then, I'm nothing like a student
anymore and I earn ten times the amount I used to. Does this make
sense? or am I a thief too?
--
Andrew Forsberg
http://www.thepander.co.nz/