[thelist] domain self-hosting

Paul Dewey paul_dewey at hotmail.com
Fri May 4 14:29:26 CDT 2001

>you could have 256 IPs serving 500 customers
>as long as you're comfortable that no more than 256 will be online
>at one time

Okay I have to add my 2 cents in.  Here is the scary part.  I have a friend
that works for eli (they are a hug company that sells high speed bandwidth
to ISP) and he says the rule that most ISP use is a 10 to 1 ratio.  Meaning
that for every 1 IP brought from ELI and sold to the ISP that ISP will have
10 clients.  Other words they have 10 clients for 1 IP they have.  Isn't
this scary!  An ISP having 100 IPs mostly likely has 1000 clients!  Those
clients are you and me!

-Paul