[thelist] closed source securtiy was: DB Security

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Fri May 4 16:54:30 CDT 2001

On 3 May 2001, at 17:09, Daniel J. Cody posted a message which said:

> I'd say that most people running IIS *do* have the resources to fix
> something if they had the source. As Netcraft.com points out, and as MS
> fans like to point out everytime a new survey is released, IIS is *the*
> main webserver for businesses. Many of those businesses like Dell,
> Ebay,  Intel, and a shitload of other fortune 500's that we don't even
> know about *do* have dedicated programming staff that could more than
> handle a problem like this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "main webserver for businesses".

If you mean it's the most popular server for companies that host
themselves where they are connected to the company lan, rather
than using servers closer to the internet backbone, you're surely
right.

But that's because they *don't* have resources. They figure it is
cheaper and easier to run Windows/IIS because they have to
support Windows on the desktop, rather than develop the
competency to run *ix/Apache.

I took a look at Netscape to see what the top Neilsen/Netratings
sites were running. If you eliminate those who *make* servers, you
have
Netscape - excite, disney, nbci, goto, iwon, earthlink,classmatesonline
Apache - yahoo, amazon, napster, google, cnet, about
IIS - lycos, infospace, askjeeves, euniverse

<tip type="expediency">
Never underestimate the power of expediency.
Even though Microsoft produces the IIS server, their WebTV
subsidiary uses both IIS and Apache web servers.
</tip>

deke