[thelist] Apache Redirect Question and 302

Pat Meeks pmeeks at email.msn.com
Fri May 4 19:24:36 CDT 2001

I had my hosting service do a redirect to a new URL. I've been reading the
"list" on this topic, but I know nothing about servers, Apache or otherwise,
and the more I read, the more confused I am.

I want the search engines to index the new URL and start dropping the old
URL. I just read a message about using a 302 that sounded like that's what I
wanted, so I asked the hosting service about it. The site is on an Apache
server. Here is their response:

"I have it setup as a RedirectPermanent which is basically a
carbon copy of a 302.  If you want me to I can change it, but I don't know
if it'll work as well with the redirecting of every page."

To get the robots to index the new URL and drop the old, what should I ask
him to do? Will this RedirectPermanent do the same thing?

Thanks! Patricia Meeks pmeeks at msn.com

<tip>
http://www.netcraft.com/survey/ "The Netcraft Web Server Survey is a survey
of Web Server software usage on Internet connected computers." Found this
site in my logs.
</tip>