[thelist] domain self-hosting

Tobyn Baugher trb at cartoonviolence.net
Fri May 4 20:00:13 CDT 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001, sarah wrote:

> I've read up on BIND some, and don't really know where to start.

I use register.com to do my domain name registration and they also
handle my DNS. They cost more than most registrars, but using their DNS
servers has saved me a lot of headaches and their web-based control
panel is REALLY easy to use.

I have no problem managing 10+ personal domains with them.

I'm pretty much a BIND guru too, it just saves me time to not have to
worry about finding a place for a redundant nameserver and keeping up
with the latest versions on 2+ boxes instead of one.

register.com has a boatload of nameservers, better than I can do :).

Good for you on the decision to self-host, though. I lost my little colo
arrangement for a while last summer and had to make due with a shared
hosting service for about two months.

 From experience, life is MUCH easier when you have root. (Administrator
for all you NT kids :))

Anyway, much more so than design, I can handle system administration. If
you ever get really stuck, feel free to send me an Email off-list and
I'll try to give you a hand.

Regards,
Toby

--