[thelist] Subdomain name mapping

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Fri May 4 22:35:03 CDT 2001

On 4 May 2001, at 11:13, Daniel J. Cody posted a message which said:

> One thing you may want to find out is if they can provide a permanent
> redirect for you.. You can do this by passing a 302 code in the HTTP
> header along with the new URL info.. The 302 is for a 'permanent
> redirect' and will let any automated bots, spiders, etc that they need
> to update their records to point to the new URL.

He says the server is being "binned" (and I suspect he means
/dev/null rather than /bin), and everybody is being moved over to the
new domain.

If there isn't a host on the old domain, it's going to be darned hard
to return a 302 error - the user is going to get a DNS error instead.

What the company *should* be doing is setting up an httpd on the
IP looking for the old domain name. It doesn't need to serve pages
- it just needs to do redirects. And a simple RedirectMatch could
send *all* requests for pages to the corresponding page on the new
domain.

But I've never been very successful in solving problems by trying to
convincing someone else to do something that doesn't benefit him...

<tip type="support">
Support requests often get the attention they require if they are
fedexed to the sysop in the form of a note scotch-taped to a
bottle of single-malt scotch

If not, try scotch-taping it to the windshield of a new sports car,
and fedex the keys to the sysop.
</tip>

deke