[thelist] Mac could not put away CD after using IE4.5 to view web interface - mysteriously cured!

Miraz Jordan miraz at firstbite.co.nz
Sun May 6 15:10:58 CDT 2001

At 16:41 +0100 06/05/2001, George Dillon wrote:
>Has anyone else experienced this and can anyone shed light on what went on
>here?
>
>In brief, after viewing pages using IE4.5, if the CD icon is dragged to the
>wastebasket BEFORE closing the browser this error message is displayed:
>
><error message>
>
>The disk "CDVolume" could not be put away
>because it contains the file "FILE.GIF",
>which is in use.
>
>Quit all programs using "FILE.GIF", then
>try putting away the disk again.
>
></error message>

On the Mac you can't eject a CD or other removable if it's in use.
CDs etc are most commonly "in use" if you've *started up* some
software from them.

An example:

I start up IE4.5 from my hard drive and then  insert a CD to browse
some web pages on it. I can eject the CD afterwards.

Another example:

I insert a CD and double click a web page on the CD which starts
IE4.5. I cannot eject the CD.

Miraz