[thelist] domain self-hosting

Tobyn Baugher trb at cartoonviolence.net
Sun May 6 23:48:46 CDT 2001

On Sat, 5 May 2001, Bryan deSilva wrote:

> However, I'm concerned about the amount of work to host it myself. Can you,
> or anyone, point me to some links or tell me what to expect? I own MS SBS
> 4.5 which has NT, IIS & Exchange. However, I'm concerned about having to
> spend too much time maintaining it. What do you think?

It's easy to do. It's a lot to do it right.

The actual maintenance is very low. I probably spend less than
15mins/day. The knowledge requirement is the daunting part.  However
long it took you to become a decent designer, figure about the same to
get sysadmin'ing right. The bad thing is that it's an up-front cost. I
think the initial hump you have to get over is what turns a lot of
people off to the idea.

It's fun, and it gets easier the more you do it, but you gotta jump in
head first and be willing to spend a good deal of time working on it.

As far as links, I don't really know. I just refer to my shelf full of
books when I need to learn :). What a big shelf it is...

Good luck if you decide to do it. I'll try to answer any questions you
have if you get really stumped :). I must admit that NT isn't my
favorite platform, though, so I don't know how much help I'll be.

Regards,
Toby

--
Tobyn "trb" Baugher <trb at cartoonviolence.net>