[thelist] Why is NS6 DHTML so SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW?!

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Mon May 7 10:57:14 CDT 2001

> The DOM is part of JavaScript, so the most important change it its
> inclusion. BTW: later Netscape 4's and Explorer 4's already say they speak
> 'JavaScript 1.3', one more reason to distrust the version numbers. I think
> Netscape 6 now officially support 1.5, and I have no idea whatever
happened
> to 1.4

    Actually, later versions of Netscape 4 *do* support JavaScript 1.3 [1].
IE 4, however, supports only 1.2, and I don't think I've ever seen it claim
otherwise.
    I'm sure ppk already is aware of the JavaScript 1.5 docs on Netscape's
site, but since they are fairly new, likely many others do not. There is
both a JavaScript 1.5 Core Guide [2] and a Core Reference [3]. As ppk
suggests, the features added to 1.5 [4] are quite esoteric, and won't
revolutionize scripting on the web.
    BTW, JavaScript 1.4 does exist [5], but was designed only for
server-side implementation.

James Aylard

1.
http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/js/client/jsref/preface.htm#10032