[thelist] Why is NS6 DHTML so SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW?!

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Mon May 7 11:15:44 CDT 2001

>     Actually, later versions of Netscape 4 *do* support JavaScript 1.3
>[1]. IE 4, however, supports only 1.2, and I don't think I've ever seen it
>claim otherwise.

I tried

<SCRIPT LANGAUGE="JavaScript1.0">
document.write('JavaScript 1.0')
</SCRIPT>

etc. until 1.5 . When tested so, IE4 says it supports 1.3 .

>     I'm sure ppk already is aware of the JavaScript 1.5 docs on Netscape's
>site,

Aware, but I haven't yet read them. Took a quick look and remembered what is
wrong with it: there's no mention at all of the new W3C DOM methods and
properties.

but since they are fairly new, likely many others do not. There is both a
JavaScript 1.5 Core Guide [2] and a Core Reference [3]. As ppk suggests, the
features added to 1.5 [4] are quite esoteric, and won't revolutionize
scripting on the web.
>     BTW, JavaScript 1.4 does exist [5], but was designed only for
>server-side implementation.

Thanks for that last info, didn't know server side JS was still in
development.

ppk