[thelist] Why is NS6 DHTML so SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW?!

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Mon May 7 13:21:20 CDT 2001

> > <SCRIPT LANGAUGE="JavaScript1.0">
> > document.write('JavaScript 1.0')
> > </SCRIPT>
> >
> > etc. until 1.5 . When tested so, IE4 says it supports 1.3 .
>
>     Of course one possibility is that the scripting engine has been
>upgraded to either the JScript 5 or 5.5 version within IE 4. (You can even
>do this with IE 3.x.) This would give the added benefits of the newer
>script version, but *not* the added benefits of the newer browser DOM.

Sounds typically Microsoft, so I believe you. I installed IE5 on the same
computer, so maybe the script engine has been updated automatically.

>     What can make this confusing is that, traditionally, Netscape did not
>segregate its DOM from its script implementation, throwing them both into
>the JavaScript bin. So, some things that are commonly thought of as
>scripting methods - such as document.write() - are actually DOM methods. Of
>course, this isn't news to you. :)

Maybe not, but I never quite thought of it this way. Of course write() is a
method of document, but I've always seen the DOM as a way to access specific
HTML elements and do something with them, so in that definition
document.write() would not be part of the DOM.

As you notice I frequently use my own definitions instead of the official
ones because I think the official ones are sometimes far too complicated and
describe an ideal world, not a world filled with incompatible browsers.

ppk