[thelist] Table question

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Mon May 7 13:27:45 CDT 2001

> On this protopage: http://www.humguide.com/testguide/index.html
>
> I can't seem to get the inner table moved all the way to the top to match
> the 2 pixel  cellpadding from the outer table that appears around the rest
> of the inner table.

lines 211-215 you have
          <!--end table6: white inner content-->

those <br>s are putting the space at the top.

> I also can't seem to figure out why the top row of the inner table with the
> logo in it does not span the entire table but leaves a large margin
> on the right.

Almost certainly a colspanning problem. Somewhere in there you have one
too many TDs.
Turn your table borders on and take a look.

> I am playing with these layouts in Dreamweaver and when I get them right I will
> convert them into a php driven pages. In Dreamweaver (4.0, Mac) these table
> anomalies don't show up. But once previewed in the browser they do.

:) DW is a wysiwym (what you see is what you mean) editor

My advice: get a print out of your design (if it looks the way you want
it to in IE then screenshot it and print it out from there). Now start
deconstructing it - take a ruler and pen, and draw in your tables. Plan
your layout on paper, *then* pick up dreamweaver/homesite/whatever and
put the code together for this layout.
And *then* you can move your old content over into the new framework.
(careful copy paste)

In this case I still think you have too many tables. The blue/teal
border could be
a) set in css
b) set up in the top row (TR) and rowspanned all the way down to the
botton.

this dispenses with the outer table altogether.
anyhow,

hth
Sam