[thelist] flash detection

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Mon May 7 16:53:33 CDT 2001

On 7 May 2001, at 10:48, Nicholas Dunham posted a message which said:

> BMW was one of Erik's examples, and I think it's a good one. BMW's target
> market is relatively affluent -- which may not necessarily translate to
> computer literacy, but at least BMW can be fairly sure that they're not
> going to get too many potential customers on old 386 Windows 3.1 systems and
> 28.8 modems.

I got a 12,000bps connection earlier this afternoon from Earthlink
with my v.90 modem.

Funny thing about DSL. It's available in the slums of the urban
core but not yet available out here where the homes average
$350,000 and it's going to be a long time before people with
$10 million farms can get it.

Nobody ever noticed that until Sam Walton. He decided to serve
the people in small towns first, because they were the ones with
money. He waited until most small towns had WalMarts before
he started sticking them in big cities.

Sam's dead now, but if you add together the fortunes of his heirs,
it's several times that of the Sultan of Brunei.

> Regardless, a Flash site is hardly going to send BMW down
> the path of financial ruin.

Nor is the price of Larry Ellison's sports car going to drive Oracle
out of business - but it doesn't contribute to the bottom line, either.

deke