[thelist] Re: Reset button

Marc Seyon seyon at carib-link.net
Mon May 7 22:18:19 CDT 2001

At 5/7/2001 10:47 PM, you wrote:
> > From: "Mike Hardaker" <mike at angloinfo.com>
>[...]
> > When building forms with a "helpful" WYSIWYG editor such as FrontPage
> > 2000, remove the "Reset" button. before uploading yer HTML. Most users
> > don't know what it's for and - let's face it - neither do you, at
> > least in a Web environment. Just 'cause Microsoft thinks it ought to
> > be there isn't an excuse. </tip>
>
>actually, in my own user testing, i found that simply naming the
>button 'clear form' made its value and function quite apparent...

One situation where I leave it as 'Reset' is where I've got a form that
edits existing information, and is using pre-populated form field values.
'Reset' cancels any changes and sets the input fields to their original
values (without cleaning).

In most other situations, I also use 'Clear' as the title.

-marc