[thelist] disable Flash

Mark Groen markgroen at telus.net
Tue May 8 00:30:45 CDT 2001

    Yes, there is a way to disable Flash also! I use IE, version 5.0 or 5.5
will allow you to do it fer sure. With your browser open, click on
Tools>Internet Options>Security tab>Custom Level button. You will get a
window that allows you to disable your Java VM and a lot of other stuff; for
the Flash - change the default setting on Active X controls to Prompt or
Disable. I have mine set to prompt, and when I hit a site that uses either,
it opens up a pop up that asks if you want to run this code on your machine.
On sites that I am not familiar with, I always click NO. Active X controls
can still run VB script as far as I know, and I am not about to let some
script kiddies spoil my machine that I saved up for months to purchase. A
site such as Hotmail and other well put together sites (New York Times comes
to mind), will let you still see all the content and navigation, what you
will miss is mainly the advertisements - no great loss for me. When I hit a
site that will ONLY allow access with Flash, they are definitely not in my
Favorites folder. If you use NN or Opera, I think this is probably still
available as an option too, even though they are bundled with the browser -
someone else might have a work around for them?
    No doubt about it, Flash rocks, but it has its place, and although now
it is beyond "the next big thing", it never turned out to be such a big
thing anyways IMHO.

<snip>
if there were a way to disable Flash at home, i'd do that, too... hey,
jdowdell, is there a way to disable it?  other than not installing it?

anyway, yeah, i'm one of those extreme cases... anyone
remember my tip about how to disable images across all the major
browsers?  yeah, that's because i do it all the time... anyway, that
tip is at http://lists.evolt.org/index.cfm/a/harvest/b/show/c/Week-of-
Mon-20010219.html...

anyway, i've gotta go enable closed-captioning on my TV now...
</snip>