[thelist] Why is NS6 DHTML so SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW?!

Edwin Martin e.j.martin at chello.nl
Tue May 8 08:25:27 CDT 2001

Peter-Paul wrote:

>Please don't forget that at the moment we cannot make commercial sites
>that extensively use the W3C DOM because not enough browsers support it
>(only 80%, which is too little). So we'll have to wait until the Version 4
>browsers are out.

With a little JavaScript, it's not hard to make DHTML which works in
all DHTML-browsers.

E.g. you have this layer:

#mylayer {
         position: absolute;
         top: 300px;
         left: 30px;
         background-color: orange;
}

Text in a layer.

Just add this JavaScript function:

<script language="JavaScript">
function getStyle( layer ) {
         if( document.getElementById ) {
                 return document.getElementById( layer ).style
         } else if( document.all ) {
                 return document.all[layer].style
         } else {
                 return document[layer]
         }
}
</script>

And in JavaScript, you can change all kinds of properties:
getStyle('mylayer').left = 120
getStyle('mylayer').top = 100
getStyle('mylayer').visibility='hidden'
getStyle('mylayer').visibility='visible'
getStyle('mylayer').zIndex = 2

This works in Netscape Navigator 4 and higher and Internet Explorer 4 and
higher!

With a little JavaScript you can also make cross-browser clipping and
content-changing. (And that's about it for cross-browser possibilities).

And I never noticed Netscape 6 being slower than other browsers.

There is no excuse not supporting the W3C standards!

Bye,
Edwin Martin.

--
Surf Edwin Martin's brainwaves: http://www.bitstorm.org/edwin/