[thelist] "Local" Hosting - why?

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Thu May 10 10:04:36 CDT 2001

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Luther, Ron wrote:

> Any particular reason for that?
>
> Are you running into clients with a "buy local - support local business"
> mentality?  Is it just a concern over having normal telephone support hours

Yes.

> coincide with your time zone?  Do you ring these people up that often?  Is

Yes.

> it a "language" thing - being concerned over hosting on a box in France if
> your French is rusty?

Can't say I've ever run into anything quite like THAT.

> If support is 24/7 then what would it matter where the physical box is?
> {Not even bothering to mention the "added discount" that currency conversion
> can provide to non-local hosting.}

Three more important reasons for wanting a host in your own country:

1.  "Payment must be drawn in [currency x] from a [country x] bank."
2.  While it's true that the com/net/org are total free-for-all TLD
    spaces, the same is not necessarily true for country TLD's.  As a
    result, if I wanted to build a site in the .co.uk space I would almost
    certainly want to go through a British hosting provider, since
    they'd be able to interface much more efficiently with the registrar
    for .co.uk when compared to providers in other countries.
3.  Domestic bandwidth usually has less lag than international bandwidth.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."