[thelist] deleted file after redesign

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Fri May 11 23:17:42 CDT 2001

On 11 May 2001, at 11:24, Johannah Hubal posted a message which said:

> I have seen sites that designed a 404 page that was just their index page
> .... what do you think of that? Confusing to the user, or gentle way to
> avoid the annoying 404 message?

If you *never* have a broken internal link, it would be OK.  I admit that
I have done it, but I've felt guilty about it, because it smacks of conceit.

If someone bookmarks a page on a framed site, though, clicking on
the bookmark has the same effect.  If you don't have a framed site,
they could think that the page is actually there, and that they can
find it if they look long enough. Is this kind of traffic beneficial, or are
you just wasting their time and your bandwidth?  It might depend on
the nature of your site.

deke