[thelist] Getting New Business

Daniel E. Boen dan at the-plate.com
Sun May 13 08:08:23 CDT 2001

Ah getting business, my favorite subject...

I'm finding that word of mouth and keeping your clients happy is the way it
happens.  The two big potentials on my dock are:

- one website that I'm bidding on as a result of knowing the daughter of the
man in charge.

- one website that I did over a year ago that's been pretty much a digital
mothball, but now good fortune has given them some real budget dollars -
we're now talking about how much coolness they can get for the buck.  These
guys are old friends of mine.

Growing a business takes time and patience just like everything else.
Promote your strengths and give the clients you have an immeasurably good
experience.  They'll talk about you too.

All search engines have gotten me is spam regarding how they can register me
on more search engines.

One thing that works well for a lot of one person companies is
COLLABORATION.  There's no reason to work 20 hours per day and let your
kitchen get messy and the cat go hungry when you can toss some work to your
idle colleagues who have no business and are working on their virtual toys.
Everyone benefits:

- the client gets the project sooner and is delighted
- your colleague gets more business and another site on the resume
- you get a life
- everyone gets paid
- you don't have to look at your colleague's virtual toy

The next time, it's the colleague who gets the enormous project with the
ridiculous deadline, and work comes your way.  But remember, like everything
else, it takes time to get to this point too.

And don't forget: The web is a giant plate of steaming ring baloney.