[thelist] CSS - bgcolor overrides bckgrd image (was CSS - background image keeps repeating)

sfmalo sfmalo at msn.com
Mon May 14 03:41:02 CDT 2001

Dear Elfur:

I see what you're saying! As I started to reply, it dawned on me to replace
"no-repeat" with "repeat-x" (and, of course, get rid of "fixed" which I
didn't want in the first place) ... and ... voila!!!! That did it.

Yes, it can be done by making the graphic repeat across only (horizontally),
then having the background color display below it. There's no need to
enlarge the graphic (which would increase download time too much). I kept
thinking that somehow the bgcolor was overriding the background image
(that's how it looked).

It solved the entire problem. I checked it out in NN 4.7 and 6.01 as well as
I.E. 5.01 and it works just the way I want it to. Thank you. You provided
the spark!
Best regards,
Sharon

> | Thanks to several of you who responded to my previous predicament. The
> | background graphic no longer repeats (ta, da). BUT, the bgcolor now sits
> | somewhat askew on top of the background graphic, destroying the design.
>
> your background graphic doesn't repeat, and the reason it's only in the
> left corner of the site is because it isn't wider than that.
>
> The graphic you're using for a background is only 15 pixels wide.
>
> It took me some time to realise, but what you're actually asking for is
for
> the graphic to tile up horizontally once, but not repeat another row
> beneath.
>
> you want
> but not
>
> this can't be done (to my knowledge), either the graphic repeats or it
> doesn't.
> The effect you're not satisfied with (on the front page and adult...) is
> the effect you've been asking about how to retrieve. the only reason for
> your dissatisfaction is actually the graphic your using.  Maybe if you
> enlarge the graphic horizontally then you get the effect you want.
>
> HTH
>
> elfur.is || elfur.com
> *the icelandic one*

Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com