[thelist] Re: New Windows

Simon Coggins ppxsjc1 at unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Wed May 16 09:54:11 CDT 2001

What makes this a difficult problem is that some people like new windows
while others hate them, so it's hard to please everyone. There are a
couple of diplomatic solutions though:

The simplest is to provide both options. Say a normal text link with a
small new window icon next to it. Bit of a pain to maintain on static
sites, and not necessarily obvious to the user.

Another approach I saw knocking around some weblogs a while ago was a neat
little bit of code that displayed a checkbox entitled "open links in
new window?" or similar. The user could then toggle between the states
depending on their preference. It requires Javascript but it worked pretty
well. Sorry I don't have a url with an example - the site that I saw it on
has redesigned since then.

Simon